Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Soup #22 / Djadjukh or Yogurt & Cucumber Soup

22


This soup is one of my absolute favorites when it comes to cold refreshing summer soups. June has been full of overcast mornings that are turning in to hot and humid afternoons. This one is a traditional Armenian dish that is easy to make. It works as a side dish, but I can finish it up as a whole meal!

What you will need: 
1 large container (32 oz) plain yogurt
3 large cucumbers
1 clove of garlic, finely minced or smashed, or garlic powder
~1/8 cup of dried mint
~ 1/8 cup of dried dill
salt & pepper 

How to make it:
Peel the cucumbers and shred them using a grater. Put the shredded cucumber in a strainer and press the excess water out. Put the yogurt in a large bowl and mix in the cucumber. Add in the mint and dill. These are usually "atchkee chop" or by taste, so feel free to add more or less to your liking. When you add it in, you can sort of smoosh it with your hands to make the herbs a bit finer too.  Add salt, pepper and garlic to taste. Stir well and refrigerate, serve on a hot day. Enjoy! 

Seriously, how easy was that? You can store leftovers for up to 4 days in the fridge.

The Verdict:
LOVE LOVE LOVE! Super success. It's been a hot day and E and I are not in the mood to cook or eat a lot. This is the perfect soup. It seriously took about 15 minutes to prep, make, and clean up. It's chilling in the fridge as we speak, but I've tasted it already and I can't wait to dive in. I'm pretty sure that's all I'll be having for dinner. 

What we'd do differently: 
The true determining factor here is E's commentary. I love it, but he's not convinced it's a true soup. "To me Djadjukh is like a topping," he says, which is what truly defines the difference here. I'm used to having this as a whole meal, E is used to having it as a side or a topper. Either way it tastes fabulous! 

XO


No comments:

Post a Comment