Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Labor Cake


"It's a BUNDT...T"
"THERE'S A HOLE IN THIS CAKE!"

Well, I'm posting this up from the comfort of my home office, so clearly, this didn't work. Or I didn't eat enough. One or the other. BUT! If you are looking for an amazingly moist and gooey chocolate cake recipe - look no further. It's rich and decadent and takes a simple box cake to a whole new level.

I found the recipe here when searching "labor cake"on Pinterest. I figured, the baby is due, and I'm not in labor. Best case scenario: I learn what contractions really feel like and maybe finally get to meet my little man. Worst case scenario: I get to eat some yummy chocolate cake. It's pretty much a win:win situation, don't you think?

I don't really believe that anything you do or eat is going to kick start labor. Baby Boy is going to make his appearance when he is ready, and I am learning to be OK with that. I also don't think that a chocolate overdose is going to do a darn thing to my uterus to jump start this. But I'm starting to get a little restless at home bouncing on my exercise ball all day and baking a cake was the perfect diversion for a good part of my day. Cleaning up the dishes afterward, however, was not.

So here it is: LABOR CAKE - or Labor Day Cake - if you need a recipe to take to that potluck this weekend!

  • 1 box of chocolate cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Butter Chocolate Cake)
  • All the ingredients the box mix requires: usually water and eggs, maybe oil or butter
  • 1 package of chocolate instant pudding mix (I guess if you wanted to get creative you could try a different flavor)
  • 1 cup of sour cream
  • 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips
Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl until smooth. Pour into a greased bundt pan and cook for about 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees F, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  

You can also make this as a sheet cake or in rounds, but the cook time will vary. 

If you are making a bundt, I used the same website's recipe for the glaze, sans the vanilla extract (because I forgot). If you're making a sheet cake or rounds, you can use canned frosting or another recipe. 
  • 1/2 cups cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 sticks of butter
  • 1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk because it's what we had)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
In a sauce pan heat all the ingredients together until smooth. Continue to stir until it thickens slightly. Remove from heat and allow to stand. It will thicken up a bit more. When it's the desired consistency, drizzle over the tops of your bundt cake for that extra chocolate rush that might just make your belly contract! 

Enjoy! And if anyone DOES go into labor from this cake, either don't tell me because I'll get frustrated, or tell me it was because you ate the whole darn thing. I had to stop at one piece because it's so rich and delicious. Baby Boy liked the sugar rush too, he was moving around all night. Just not moving out yet.

XO


No comments:

Post a Comment