Thursday, July 18, 2013

Soup Fail.

Gazpacho time. #inthekitchen

If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter, you might already know how this went. This picture went up this morning when I was having a super productive morning. As per usual, I'm a week behind soup-wise, and I have a half-flat of tomatoes that need to get used, so I wanted to make a super awesome gazpacho to really celebrate summer soups in all their glory.

I feel like I need to validate this epic fail by saying that there is something wrong with our blender. I'm not sure what it is, or if we did something wrong to it in some way, but it just doesn't blend right, and I'd like to blame this on the blender. I followed a super recipe from one of my fave cook books, but I knew something was up when my pureed gazpacho was a shade of pink that could be likened to that terrible color hospital basins come in. OK, maybe not that bad, but it was definitely pink, not the ruby red juiciness that graced the pages of the cookbook I was holding. 

Maybe it will look right after it settles, I thought, so I sealed it in Tupperware and into the fridge it went. I ran errands and returned home to get dinner ready. There was going to be gazpacho with seared scallops (nom!) and maybe some shrimp cocktail and grilled zucchini. E and I pulled it out of fridge to find some still-pinkish looking salsa. It was good, don't get me wrong. It was good salsa. It was not soup. Even adding in some more canned tomato with juice in hopes of making it a bit more soup-y didn't stop it from being salsa. It was not meant to be, this gazpacho. 

I dipped some bread in it and ate it anyway, but E had a good point. This was not a soup. It was never going to be a soup. And while it was a very good salsa, it wasn't a recipe that we would necessarily pass on to another person and say, "hey, here's our salsa recipe!" 

To get real with you: I was so disappointed. This is the first soup that failed in first attempt. And I had started the day with dreams of glossy pages with our recipes on them. This was a major bummer. I needed to start over. 

The cool part was, I read through a few more books and looked at recipes, and then... I closed them. I put the books down, went back into the kitchen and got back to it. I decided to do it my own way, marinating the veggies in a mixture of sherry vinegar, olive oil and Siracha, before finishing it all off tomorrow. I'm not sure how this next one will go. It might taste like chunkier salsa because I am definitely NOT blending it. But we will see. Tomorrow will tell. In the mean time I am still dreaming glossy paged dreams and cooking away #inthekitchen. 

XO


No comments:

Post a Comment