Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Soup #40 / Tomato & Tortellini Soup

40

This soup was inspired by this Spinach and Tortellini Soup from Shutterbean.com. It looked amazing and I had everything I needed in my fridge and cupboards, except for the the spinach. I had some kale I was going to sub in instead, but turns out it had gone bad while we were out of town. Typical. I made the soup without the spinach, expecting it to be lacking, and was pleasantly surprised when it was just perfectly tasty, so I have dubbed it "tomato & tortellini soup." This has to be one of the most simple soups I've made, with the most flavor. 

What you will need: 
1 tbsp oil (we used grapeseed)
1 onion, coarsely chopped)
4 cloves of garlic, crushed/finely chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
15 oz can of diced tomato with juice
32 oz chicken or vegetable stock
1 package of frozen tortellini (we used the kind from Costco)
salt and pepper

How to make it: 
Heat your oil on medium high heat in your soup pot. Add in your chopped onion and brown for about 3 minutes. Add in your garlic oregano and basil. Continue to cook for a few minutes until everything is well incorporated. Now stir in the canned tomato and juice and add the stock. Mix well and cover the pot, bringing it to a boil.  When your soup is at a boil, add in your frozen tortellini and cover, allowing them to cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until all the tortellinis float up to the top. Add salt and pepper to taste and voila - you're done! Serve with Parmesan and crushed red peppers and it's easy-peasy and oh-so tasty. 

The Verdict: 
Like I mentioned before I totally thought the lack of greenery would leave the soup lacking over all, but this soup was a SUCCESS. E kept tasting it and saying, "wow this is really good!" And really, isn't that why we all love cooking in the first place?

What we'd do differently: 
I think I would still like to try this with spinach or kale, just to compare and get the full effect, but all in all, I will definitely be making this one again!

ENJOY!
XO


No comments:

Post a Comment