Saturday, February 2, 2013

Farmer's market and supporting local

Following me here on my blog, I'm sure you've figured out by now that I've been getting into whole cooking a lot lately. I've been reading Barbara Kingsolver's 'Animal Vegetable Miracle' and falling in love with vegetables and honestly getting a little flipped out when learning about all the junk that's going on with our food and our country's agriculture.

In an effort to be one of the people who does something, even a small something, rather than just complain, I'm making an effort in this house to buy what we can from local markets. Too much unnecessary money is spent on transportation of our food products, primarily when those vegetables aren't naturally in season.

I took a trip to the farmer's market in Downtown LA last Thursday and perhaps bought a few more greens than I needed, but the result has been some amazing salads and meals. Yesterday I steamed fresh spinach and served it over toast and topped with a poached egg, and for lunch a delicious salad made from brussel sprout greens, lettuce, spinach, snow peas and tomatoes with chicken and a homemade tahini recipe I found here. It was super yummy and I felt good about the greens I was choosing, and the fact that I got them from local farmers.




I know it's already the 2nd of February, and I'm a little late with monthly goals, and super behind with Project Life, but I'll get there. Off to work this weekend, and I'll be back with more updates come Monday. Stay tuned for Soup #5 tomorrow - it's an international soup and a family recipe passed down to me this week!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment