Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Christmas Crafting


I can't believe November is almost over. What happened and where did that time go? 
Seriously. I don't quite know how I feel about it almost being Christmas. For sure, when we picked an October wedding date, we didn't really think about the fact that we'd be throwing ourselves smack into our first holiday season. It's like we've had to hit the ground running and just go with it, even though we have no idea what we're doing. It's really the hardest time of year to start off. Traditions are different, you have to buy gifts for family members, and you're a couple, not just your own person shopping around. It's totally different, and honestly a little scary and intimidating.  

But, I feel like there really isn't anything to do other than just go with it and learn along the way (is there another way? Some kind of tip or trick? Please share ....NOW). To take the edge off the changes and the sort of scariness of it all, I turn to something more creative. Being that it's our first Christmas, we don't have your standard Christmas go-to items, including stockings. I always had some really awesome stockings growing up, and I wanted the ones that E and I start out with to be special, so I thought I would make them.  It's a big thing because I really am not skilled at using my sewing machine. The last thing I made was a few years back when I sewed E and I Fred and Wilma Flintstone costumes for Halloween. And that was with a lot of help from my mom.  While she is still showing me the ropes and answering my texts of help, I've gotta do this one on my own, which is bittersweet, but exciting.  

We went to pick out the material last week, and today I finally got around to cutting the pieces out.  I've got to work on it slow and steady, but get it done soon enough to enjoy them in the season.  Hopefully they come out looking fabulous and are just the right size to hang from the stocking. 

Lots of changes this holiday season, and I'm hoping we (me, E, and the family) get through them smiling and in one piece, happy and merry and bright. 

XO

4 comments:

  1. my posts never show up - I've saie so many good things about you blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There your posts are! i thought they were comments on the newest post. Anyway, I'm glad it's working! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. A and I rarely agree on gifts initially but after much time we usually (in my humble opinion) end up making great choices together. ('What's gonna work? Teamwork!') Don't fret, gets easier over time. :) Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete