Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Getting Dirty

Photo courtesy of www.rusticgardenbistro.com - Thank you!
A few months ago I was flipping through the pages of Marie Claire and I read a review for a book called "The Dirty Life" by Kristin Kimball. I'm not sure why, or what it was, but the review caught my attention, and I added it to my Nook wishlist. And there it sat for a few months until last week when I had some bizarre urge to buy yet another book to start, and decided on this one (more on my crazy book buying frenzy another time).  Lately when I pick up a book, I read for a few pages, fall asleep, and then I'm done. I haven't opened up anything that's been particularly captivating. Until this one. 

When I turned 21 we took a family trip to Sonoma County and wine country. The open fields, the smell of dirt and cork and wine, the fresh air. It all started to make me think - I could live here. OK, I know you're reading this Mom, don't worry, I am not going to move onto a farm and starting drinking raw cow's milk!  I won't be running off to forge fields and butcher cows, but I am thinking a lot about locally grown foods, and eating a "whole" food diet. OK, I admit it, I also started looking up info on raising backyard chickens. Shh!

Reading this book makes you want to start a garden and cook amazing food and taste food in a whole different way. It makes you want to get back to the basics of food and living. There's so much that goes in to the processing of our food today, that it's hard to know if what you get at the store is really, truly, organic. I definitely want to be more aware, and make an effort to shop at the farmer's market after the wedding (note to self, must find farmer's market's near new city). 

I'm still reading, and still thinking about the country. There's definitely a part of me that wouldn't mind that country life (as long as I could move my whole family there, and still be close enough to a book store, coffee shop, movie theater and Target!). Wouldn't it be fab to own a vineyard and make wine and have a tasting room and serve cheese and salami - or some Armenian cuisine (bet wine country doesn't have that yet!). Maybe we could open a coffee shop/book store in a small farm/wine town. The possibilities are there. Maybe one day. But for now, I'm gonna keep reading, keep thinking, and keep it local. 

I'm curious, do any of you have experience with growing your own food, raising chickens, or being a part of a food co-op here in So.Cal or anywhere else? Any advice on living a little more "locally" and eating a "whole" diet?

6 comments:

  1. yes, the grass is...
    I'll take up the simple life if... the whole family follows too!
    happy reading...aaah dreaming :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a garden at your new digs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Pumpkin! I am one of the (not so secret anymore) readers on your ticker! My roomie and I have been dabbling with the veggie and herb garden for a while but we're finally stepping it up. We're getting chickens!!! (We already have coops in the yard). And we're digging out a space for a larger veggie garden. Anytime you want to come by and get dirty, you are welcome! Hopefully we'll get to a point where we can host dinners with the fresh goods we create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkin! That's so exciting about your veggie garden and chickens - I'd definitely love to come by and work in your yard!! :) What area are you in and did you have to go through anything with the city to get the chickens approved/permitted? If you need an extra hand in the yard, you know where to find me!

      Delete
  4. One of my colleagues raises chickens in his backyard and eats 2 fresh eggs a day! I was so intrigued, I asked all sorts of questions, because I was interested myself! For now, I've been trying to grow vegetables. Let's see if I have a harvest this year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzie - I've heard that fresh, warm eggs are the best! It would be so fun to have little chickens. Right now I should focus on veggies and whatnot first though... or at least after the wedding!

      Delete