Monday, December 30, 2013

Soup #50 / Grandma's Cold Remedy Soup



The other day E looked at me and said, "after making all these soups, I don't know why I never thought to make the soup that my grandma used to make me when I was sick." We started talking about it with the family and my mom said that her grandma used to make this soup too. It's one of those comfort foods and so the other day he made it for me after a long day at work and let me tell you, it instantly made me feel better! 

What you will need: 
1 tbs olive/grapeseed oil
1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
6 cups chicken broth (veggie broth works too)
2 tbsp dried mint (and more to taste)
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup mini-star pasta

How to make it:

In a medium pan, heat oil. Add in tomato sauce. cook tomato sauce, stirring regularly until the color changes to a brighter orange-red (about 5 minutes). Add in 4 cups of chicken broth, stirring in slowly. Also add in the garlic, let it simmer for a few minutes to let the flavors marry. Add in the star pasta and last 2 cups of broth. Allow to cook until pasta is ready. When the pasta is almost fully cooked, add in the mint and cook for about 5 minutes. When ready, ladle into bowls and enjoy!

The verdict: Success! It was just the thing I needed to make me feel better after a long day at work. It's got a familiar taste that just hits the spot on a cold and long day. 

What we'd do differently: To quote E, "Absolutely nothing, it's a perfect recipe! Grandma doesn't make mistakes!"

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment