Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The M: Day 2

Day 2 of the The M and I still love it! Today's lesson was about what aperture, shutter speed, and ISO settings actually mean and how to use them to properly expose your photo. In contrast to yesterday where I just messed around with the numbers until they seemed sort of balanced, today I was actually able to understand what it is that I am doing, and adjust accordingly, trying to make sense of it.

I'm being totally honest when I say that while taking these pictures, I had the whole idea of aperture and shutter speed backward in my mind - I was adjusting numbers in one direction, thinking I was doing the opposite of what I was really doing. But with some good old fashioned trial and error, I managed to squeeze out some cool shots.

For some reason, I am really not as impressed with today's shots. I think they're neat, but I'm not as excited about them as I was excited about yesterday's shots. I think I'm starting to get a little more critical, which needs to stop, but also, I think I need to maybe take my camera out into the world beyond my back yard and living room and get some other shots in. I need more inspirational subject matter.  My mentality is a little different today too. I have work tonight, so everything is based on the time on the clock, and other things that need to get done before I take my nap so I can stay up all night.

All that aside, I'm still loving that I signed up for this class, it's really helping me to de-stress and find a new niche for my creativity, and learn a new skill that I know is going to come in handy! So, without further adieu, here are the shots from Day 2.





 I love the shot of the moon orb best - I just think it's cool, and using the Macro feature, I was able to get the detail on there. I realize that the assignment was about using the settings to control the exposure of the image, but that these images aren't exactly in the best light. I'm realizing that looking at something through the viewfinder, versus the LCD screen, versus on the computer can often give you 3 very different views of the image, and all 3 are likely not even what you see with your eye. I haven't figured out how to get this right, and maybe there is no real way to do it, and like all things, I'm sure if there is a way, it comes with familiarity and practice. I think that has to do with me not being overly excited about some of the shots as well. Anyway, it's all a learning process, and I think that for 2 days in, they're pretty darn good. 

I'm off to get some shut eye before work tonight. Here's a shot of me from this morning. I did some post-processing on Picasa (totally addicting how fast you can change up your pictures!), and so I will leave you with this picture...


 ...and a simple quote from Ansel Adams that actually quite pertains to today's lesson: "You don't take a photograph, you make it."

Peace,
xo
Ani

No comments:

Post a Comment