Sunday, May 19, 2013

Soup #20 / Summer Squash & Buttermilk Bisque

It must be summer, unofficially, or maybe I'm just getting a little daring with these soups, looking for something different to try out. This soup is fresh and green and perfect as a side for a summertime dinner!




What you need:


  • 2 leeks, tender greens included, chopped
  • 4-6 summer squash, depending on their size (my squash were really large, so I used 4). 
  • 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 3 tbsp oil
  • 4 cups chicken of vegetable stock
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 4 tbsp chopped fresh basil
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp chopped green onions
How to make it:
In a medium soup pot, warm the oil on medium high. Add in the leeks and saute for about 5 minutes until they are bright green and tender. Add in the squash and garlic and cook for another 5-7 minutes until the squash start to brown slightly. Reduce the heat to medium low and add your stock. Cover the pot and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes, until the squash is tender. Remove from heat. 

Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, blend soup contents until smooth. Allow the soup to cool to room temperature, cover and then chill in the refrigerator for about 4 hours. 

When ready to serve, stir in buttermilk, lemon, green onion and 2 tbsp of basil. Flavor with salt and pepper to taste. Stir well and serve, topping with remaining basil for garnish. ENJOY!

The Verdict: 
Success! Ok, in all honesty, when I first took a bite, I didn't really care for it. There was a whole lot going on at the same time. When E took his first taste, he thought it was great. Actually "this one's a winner" is what he said. I, on the other hand was wondering if my taste buds were off, or maybe that I got a bad bite. It did totally grow on me though, the more I tried the more I liked it. It has a very fresh flavor, and I particularly liked the flavor the basil gave to it. Definitely one that needs to be tried again... maybe for lunch tomorrow. 

What We'd Do Differently:
I would have used my blender instead of the immersion blender. There were a lot of squashy-leek fibers that I think the blender would have broken up, but on the other hand, they gave the soup a different texture. E says he liked it just the way it was. I'll be adding extra basil to my next bowl! 

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment