Tuesday, July 2, 2013

cooking it up


I feel like this blog has been soup after soup lately...I've been working hard trying to get soups made, and in this crazy summer heat, it's a little hard to want to start cooking mid-day, even mid-evening.  I'm still a little behind with soup 26, but it's the half way point! I've got a post stirring in my head with a few thoughts on this whole soup project. Hopefully I can share that with you all soon!

This have been busy and exciting here. One thing that I've noticed lately is how much cooking dinner has just become part of an everyday routine. And not just for me, but for E too (at least I think...). On any given day when one of us gets home, and remember, I don't get home until after 8pm, the conversation usually goes like this:
"What should we have for dinner?"
"I dunno, what do you feel like?"
"I dunno, what do you think"
And then after much deliberation, we somehow figure out how to turn what's in the kitchen into some kind of fabulous dinner. Or we go out for sushi.

But really, even though I get home late and we're just getting started, we cook dinner almost every night. And I can't recall, in the last almost 9 month of cooking together, any dinner that just wasn't good. Like tonight, for example. We decided at 5:00 to thaw out some chicken because our options were limited. As it thawed I scoured cookbooks and E watered the lawn, all the time thinking about what to make. After about 2 hours of thinking, I was stumped, and chicken totally wasn't sounding good to me. But E flew in to the kitchen (it was really more of a glide) and he started pulling out veggies and seasoning and I got to making some brown rice and chopping the vegetables. Before I knew it we had an amazing Asian inspired chicken with soy ginger marinade and some amazing sauteed Brussels sprouts, onions, carrots, mixed with peanuts and a yummy homemade marinade. Over the bead of rice, it was absolutely tasty and so made me excited about eating chicken again. I love that he can do that, just whip something up so quickly and make me fall in love all over again. The funniest part, to me, is what while I knew he could cook all these years, I never realized how amazing it was, or how amazing he was at it, and how much I love that.

Even when dinner is absolutely delicious though, we're still always critiquing each other. "Is it really restaurant good?"  I think in the back of our minds, even though we have careers in a completely different field, we still have this dream of having a restaurant of our own some day. Easier dreamed than done, right? But for now we're cooking away together, just the way we like it. We're actually working on a cooking blog together that we are really excited about and we can't wait to share it with you when it's ready - keep your eyes peeled!

But for right now, I am sitting on the couch with a cup of earl gray. I'm watching Chopped: teenager edition, and wondering how on Earth these kids know so much about cooking. It's pretty cool. It makes me want to get into the kitchen. I think that soup 26 will be happening tomorrow, finally, thanks to the inspiration. I also love that I'm on here writing again, which just feels so right. I feel like these last few weeks were a bit of a blogging-break (except the soups), but now I am back, refreshed, and refocused. I'm off to watch to see who gets "chopped" the 17 year old, or the 14 year old... and then it's off to bed.

Until next time!
XO

No comments:

Post a Comment