Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Soup #31 / Minted Cantaloupe Soup

31

When I wake up early in the morning to browse the web and blog a bit, it's over cast and gloomy. I read posts about kids going back to school and sip my morning coffee with my blanket over me. It's almost like summer is coming to an end. But, thankfully, the sun peaks it's head out and by afternoon it's blazing in the high 80's again and I am reassured that we can still make some chilled summer soups. I've been wanting to make some melon soups, mostly because I love melon flavored drinks and so I thought this might be the next best thing. The flavors are a bit different, but it's definitely refreshing on a hot day! This soup was based off this recipe from The Healthy Foodie

What you will need:
1 cantaloupe, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup of plain yogurt
1 tbsp of freshly grated ginger
The juice of 1 lemon
2 pinches of sea salt  
a dash of ground cinnamon
about 6 mint leaves, finely chopped

How to make it:
Add the cantaloupe pieces, yogurt, ginger, lemon juice, salt, cinnamon, and mint into the blender. Blend until smooth. Transfer soup into a large bowl (or jars like we did!) and chill for several hours. Serve into small bowls and garnish with mint leaves. This soup works well for an appetizer, dessert, or even an afternoon snack to help you cool off. 

The Verdict: Success! I love the simplicity of some of these summer soups, and this one included. It's got a light and refreshing taste and the mint adds an unexpected but welcome flavor. 

What we'd do differently: I don't know if it's our not-so-blendy blender, but this soup didn't really come out smooth. I think I would repeat the same recipe but in the end I would strain it through a mesh sieve to get out the pulp. 

Also, my icepop molds arrived and I thought I would turn this soup into a popsicle. It was super tasty, but for something so icy, I felt it needed a little more sweetness. If I made this into a popsicle again, I might stir in a little bit of honey first. But otherwise it was super refreshing!

Enjoy! XO

No comments:

Post a Comment