Friday, January 3, 2014

2014: One Little Word


Last year, I started off my first 'new year' without resolutions. Instead of making lofty goals that I might not be able to reach, I decided to start my year off with some focus, and so I joined Ali Edwards One Little Word course. My One Little Word in 2013 was Choose. Choose was in the back of my mind for 2013, even if I didn't blog about it much past April, and I didn't participate in the projects that Ali Edwards' class had to offer.  It wasn't just about choosing to make good decisions but about choosing how I will react, choosing how I will embrace opportunities and challenges. I can't say I remembered all the time, but for the most part, CHOOSE was something that helped my focus last year.

This year, I debated a lot about whether I was going to do this again. I definitely didn't want to try to keep up with monthly projects because that just didn't work the first time, and I don't want to set myself up for failure. But this is definitely not the year to go back to "I'm going to lose 15 lbs before my birthday, summer, next year." I'm not doing that again. I knew that if I was determined enough, my OLW could really help me focus on the important things in my life.  I thought about a word to pick, but I think 'believe' really picked me.

I have a bangle I wear every day with the word 'believe' on it. My mom and I bought a matching set on a trip to wine country back in 2008. It was the first bracelet in our collection  (which is a whole other post that needs to happen). We've collected many bracelets since then, but the only one I wear 100% of the time says 'believe.'   I feel like this word has been my OLW for the last 6 years without me realizing it. I also feel like this year, more than any other year, this word is going to carry my through 2014.

Believing that everything is going to be OK. Believing that I can accomplish my goals. Believing that I can choose to do the right thing. Believing that my prayers are being heard. I believe that 2014 is going to be full of magic and some amazing things, and I know that keeping this word in the back of my mind (and on my wrist!) will help me take it all in with and open heart.

What are you doing for the new year? Setting goals? Making resolutions? Intentions? Are you going to chose One Little Word to carry with you this year? I'd love to hear about it!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment