Saturday, January 3, 2015

OPEN in 2015


Happy New Year!  I had every intention of posting on New Year's Day but, well I decided to enjoy my time with family and friends instead. 2014 was an amazing year that brought us our beautiful baby boy and changed our lives forever. It's pretty tough to top that, but I am eager for a new year and all the inspiring motivation that comes with a new start.

If you've been following my blog for a while, you'll know that I've been trying out this "One Little Word" idea for two years now. Basically, you choose a word that acts as sort of a mantra or theme or inspiration for your year. It is something that helps you set your intentions for the year.  In 2013 my word was choose and in 2014 my word was believe and both years it's just been sort of there - really strong in the first few months and then sort of just in the back of my mind under a pile of everything else by May - leaving my year lacking, in a sense, some intention and resolve.

But I'm trying again this year. I've been thinking about it for a while now, and my word for 2015 is OPEN.  It's funny because I really didn't want to choose this word initially, but it started coming back to me and making the most sense...then I saw a commercial that kept flashing the word "open" RIGHT AS I WAS THINKING ABOUT IT. So I took it as a sign and decided to stick with it.

So what does that mean for me? How is OPEN going to help me in anyway? It seems like an arbitrary word, but think about this: by keeping this word upfront and in focus this year I can remind myself to keep an open mind and open my heart to so much. I can focus on opening doors for new opportunities and remember to open windows for some fresh air.  Also, fun fact, one of my resolutions for this year (more on that in a bit) is to work on my photography skills. When I looked up "open" in the thesaurus, the word "aperture" showed up too, which convinced me, yet again, that open was the right word for 2015.

I'm not giving up on resolutions this year though. For the last two years my "word" has been a replacement for resolutions and goals, but then I don't really strive for anything different and new. This year I have a few goals that I'm setting for myself:

  • Keeping my word open in mind, I want to just keep my mind and heart open to be the best mother, wife, daughter, sister, friend, person that I can be. 
  • Like I mentioned before, I want to focus on my photography skills this year, and learn how to use my camera in the manual setting. I love taking pictures, but I really feel like there is so much I have to learn to capture things (and baby A) the way I really see them.
  • E and I are going to focus on another year-long food project! You can read about our 2013 52 Soup Project here.  We will be posting our journey and our recipes on our food blog The Grapeleaf - so stay tuned!
  • I want to do my best to plan out what we'll be eating this year. I resolve to not be so wasteful with our food and to have more intention when I cook. 
  • On that note, I want us to focus on our garden again - I miss growing veggies, and as baby A grows, I think it will be a fun activity to do together.
  • And speaking of baby A, once he's old enough, E and I want to make our own baby food (and maybe blog our recipes!). 
  • I want to walk more. I'm debating on signing up for the Avon Walk 2015 in Santa Barbara.
  • I also have a few craft ideas that I want to try - more quilting! And maybe some knitting!
Most importantly though, I want to enjoy every single moment of my time with my little boy. He is the sweetest baby and he is growing so fast. I recently read this article, and it really struck a cord with me... everything is a phase and I definitely want to savor every moment I can.

OK, so I'm not going to lie, writing down that list just made me a little nervous. That's a lot, and it's a little overwhelming (OK, really overwhelming) but I want to put it out there. I want to be open to the fact that I might not be able to get it all done, but also to be more open to working on my goals and achieving these things I've set out to do. So maybe this will help me be a little more accountable. I'm open to it.

What are your goals or intentions for this brave new year? Are you choosing one word to guide you? Setting goals? Or both? I'd love to hear what your goals and ideas are - let's motivate each other to keep going throughout the year!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment